What is email marketing and how does it work?
Email Marketing, Internet marketing, online marketing all refer to the same thing – taking your message and broadcasting it via the internet. An e-newsletter or e-zine simply takes the old-fashioned paper out of the equation and delivers your message directly into your customers inbox. This form of marketing can be extremely cost-effective and hassle free as it removes the need for printing, mail merges and postage.
Email marketing has powerful monitoring tools at your disposal that allows you to quickly and easily track the success of your campaign. It’s is a great way to stay in contact with your customers and draw traffic back to your website. Examples of this are creating an e-mail newsletter that provides information about specials or things of interest to your target audience with links back to your website for more information.
While email marketing is a great way to keep your customers informed we also feel it is very important not to spam* your customers. For e-communications to be successful they need to be relevant, interesting and timely. Nothing will annoy your customers more than being repeatedly bombarded with useless information.
You can get your customers to subscribe to a newsletter by adding a subscribe button on the home page of your website. This is a great way to collect the details of customers who are interested in being kept up to date about your services and if set up correctly these details will automatically be added to you email marketing customer database.
Media on Mars ♥ MailChimp
Mailchimp is our preferred email marketing manager**. Just because it has so many useful features and our clients find it so easy to use. Plus it has a price point that suits everyone: FREE (for up to 2,000 subscribers).
7 Reasons why we ♥ MailChimp
- MailChimp is one of the biggest and best email marketing systems available. It has more than 400,000 users and delivers 20 million emails..
- MailChimp has advanced tools that sync to email and social networking systems such as FaceBook, Twitter + LinkedIn, so you can spend less time duplicating marketing campaigns.
- MailChimp allows you to precisely target your email campaigns using its powerful mailing list management tools and scheduled mail-outs.
- MailChimp allows you to track every element of your email campaigns using reporting tools. Email marketing statistics tell you who received your email, who opened your email, who forwarded your email, when they opened it and what they were most interested in.
- MailChimp will manage your subscribers and un-subscribers allowing you to create and maintain an up-to-date customer database.
- As we mentioned before it’s free to use for up to 2,000 subscribers and you can send to 12,000 emails a month. Even if you think you have more than 2,000 folks that you want to tell about your business, it’s only US$30 a month to take that quota above 2,000 subscribers. Check out the pricing plans for a closer look.
- Don’t take our word for it MailChimp is used by some of the biggest and most successful internet companies in the world. i.e. Google, Twitter, PayPal etc.
* Spam is the use of electronic messaging systems (including most broadcast media, digital delivery systems) to send unsolicited bulk messages indiscriminately [Source en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spam_(electronic)].
** An Email Marketing Manager refers to a computer application which provides the ability to send bulk email to target audiences. The intent is usually to send newsletters or promotional materials to opt-in lists of subscribers. The software typically includes a database that stores contact information, campaign statistics, and message history as well as a Content Management System (CMS) that allows you to edit and update templates uploaded into the system. Software packages range in price from free, to about five hundred US dollars. Other examples of E-mail Marketing Managers are Campaign Monitor, Graphic Mail, Future Mail and many many more.